Dear Homeowner or Occupant:
Apple Inspections has been contracted to perform the inspection at your home for the prospective purchaser. We realize that we are guests in your home and make an effort not to disturb your belongings. The following is an overview of the inspection process and items inspected:
– Exterior: includes roof areas, exterior walls and improvements (decks, porches), site conditions (walks, driveway, grading), and electrical service.
– Interior: includes operation of windows, doors, cabinets, kitchen equipment, lighting/fixtures and outlets.
– Plumbing: we operate all permanent fixtures and check for leaking, observe pressure and drainage and operation of water heater.
– Heating/Cooling: we operate heating/cooling controls and permanently installed systems, observe ductwork where visible and filters (A/C not tested when temperatures are too cold).
– Electrical System/Equipment: we inspect the electrical service wiring and distribution box(es) for improper conditions and/or safety hazards, random sampling of electrical outlets, testing of all GFCI and AFCI outlets/breakers where visible, and check for improper wiring practices (open splices/junction boxes, unsecured wiring, etc).
– Structural Components: we inspect the foundation walls for cracking, settlement and/or leakage; the floor framing for proper methods and possible damage due to moisture, infestation and alterations or cracking; and check bearing systems (beams, posts, piers, etc).
– Attic: we attempt to access all portions of attic and check for damaged framing, evidence of leakage, proper ventilation, amount of insulation, and electrical conditions.
In our routine inspection, we typically turn on all light/fan fixtures throughout the house near the beginning and turn them back off near the end. We test outlets where accessible but do not move furniture or storage to gain access at most areas. We will move some items if needed to access attic areas and replace when finished. We run water at the fixtures for approximately 10-15 minutes to ensure that there are no leaks and that the plumbing system is functioning properly.
Upon completion, we try to make certain that items such as lighting, thermostats, doors, windows (and blinds), are restored to the way when we arrived. We apologize if something is missed or is not restored to your approval. Please realize that there may have been others present during our inspection (clients and their family or friends, contractors, real estate agents, etc) and we do not assume responsibility for them.
Lastly, our reports are computer generated and include digital photos (see example 1). We include photos to help illustrate our findings and/or provide a visual example. If you are not provided with a legible copy of the report/photos with the building resolution, a copy of the report can be obtained from our web-site at www.appleinspections.com . A username and password will be needed to access the report which we can provide with the permission of our client or their agent.
Paul L. MacNeill
APPLE INSPECTIONS, LLC.